The Adventure Continues...

Rants, raves and random observations from an itinerant epidemiologist.

 
100 in 1000
  1. Spend a week up a mountain learning to ski
  2. Visit Karoline's place in Moravia
  3. Hold a conversation in Czech (only)
  4. Drink 500ml of each of the following beers:
    1. Pilsner
    2. Staroprammen
    3. Budvar
    4. Velke Popovice
    5. U Fleku
    6. Gambrinus
    7. Krusovice
  5. Respond to at least one GOARN request (WHO and MSF are also acceptable)
  6. Travel across the Atlantic
  7. Return to South America
  8. Read a book to, or with, an impressionably aged child
  9. Participate in one NanoWriMo Challenge and come within at least 10,000 words of the goal length
  10. Have my nose pierced
  11. Have my next tattoo drawn
  12. Purchase the perfect jeans (x 2 pairs)
  13. Attend a spin class 3 times a week for 8 consecutive weeks
  14. Bake Viv's cheesecake
  15. Make David's casserole
  16. Make David's Chicken Cashew-nut Stirfry
  17. Invite 4 people who don't know one another too well to dinner
  18. Ride from Vienna to Venice on a motorbike (pillion acceptable, those less desirable)
  19. Attend a book group for at least two books
  20. Go on a choir weekend (learn and perform difficult piece in two/three days)
  21. Visit Madame Tussaud's (in London)
  22. Take an architecture appreciation course
  23. Join an all-girl group and sing a solo
  24. Publish in a scientific journal (top two authors)
  25. Cook a duck or other 'waterfowl'.
  26. Locate the Al-Timimi's from Doha Veterinary Practise
  27. Have a pedicure
  28. Maintain a Brazilian (ouch) for three months.
  29. Find a trustworthy Czech hairdresser
  30. Treat my inner-6-year-old twice a week (at least)
  31. Do the liver-cleansing diet properly (12 weeks)
  32. Don't eat out for one month
  33. Find a flat and flatmate
  34. Purchase one Joseph sweater
  35. Purchase one of the following pairs of designer shoes (they MUST also be COMFORTABLE, and be able to be worn with 4 different outfits and 2 types of occasion): Jimmy Choos, Manolo Blahniks, Christian Louboutin (Ebay or 2nd hand are acceptable)
  36. Send 5 books to the booksphere and track them.
  37. Go hanggliding
  38. Read 10 'classic' books (from 1001 Books to Read before you Die)
    1. Moll Flanders
    2. Everything is illuminated
    3. Madam Bovary
    4. Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance
    5. Catch-22
    6. Odysseus
    7. On the Road
  1. Run (non-stop!) for 5kms outside (preferably in a street race thingy)
  2. Send Christmas Cards on time
  3. Make a collage/mural out of street lights on my wall
  4. Buy a bed, build it, and sleep soundly in it
  5. Go to Africa
  6. Host an 'event' (classified as and when)
  7. Organise a 30th Birthday Party
  8. Wear a costume
  9. Sing on stage
  10. Buy a painting that evokes memories of Prague (cannot involve queues!)
  11. Learn a god-damned card game that stays in my memory (other than fish/snap)
  12. See sunrise. Be sober. Have woken for it. Excludes months Nov-Mar
  13. Take a walk and flip coins at each intersection
  14. Win something
  15. Draft a will
  16. Take a roadtrip
  17. Go to Italy already
  18. Sea Kayak around Abel Tasman Park (NZ)
  19. Get plants
  20. Take a train to another Eastern European Destination (accession countries are acceptable) alone preferably.
  21. Get UK to give me a provisional motorcyclists license and simultaneously get a 'card' license.
  22. Go SCUBA diving again - at least two dives lasting 30mins each.
  23. Go to a dentist. *sigh*
  24. Do a Czech Wine Trail. And live to tell the tale
  25. Make an 'outbreak emergency kit'.
  26. Go to bed prior to 11pm every night (inc weekends) for four consecutive weeks.
  27. Marvel over lack of tiredness
  28. Dine at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant (or Nobu)- preferably for free.
  29. Bet on the nags
  30. Do something for charity (applying and getting a 'red card' will count)
  31. Walk along the Champs Elysee
  32. Do 100 sit ups in a row
  33. Do 50 pressups (arms in tight)
  34. Make branston pickle (or nearest substitute)
  35. Cook something 'new' and 'adventurous' at least once a month
  36. Find a mentor
  37. Be a mentor
  38. Learn what mentoring is all about
  39. Meet an online person in real life
  40. Resist the flirt. Once. Just one night. It's okay if people don't immediately succumb to my natural charm. Really it is.
  41. Spend time at a spa (spa towns in the CR don't count)
  42. Send a care package to someone
  43. Get a Tata Bojs CD
  44. Take a French/German/Dutch course and SPEAK THE DAMNED LANGUAGE WHEN I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES ME SOUND LIKE AN IDIOT!
  45. Order new contact lenses.
  46. Make a list of things I take with me when I pack for different occasions
  47. Eat lobster. Prepared by someone else.
  48. Back up the blog
  49. Put everything onto an external hard drive
  50. Find a DDR mat and console and 'dance, I say dance!'�
  51. Go to the beach and lie on the warm sand. For an hour. (with sunscreen on, natch)
  52. Take and complete a course in either: Tango, Salsa or Flamenco
  53. Join the Municipal Library of Prague
  54. Move to another country
  55. Go to a live concert of a band I actually like
  56. Pay off debts (student loan excl.)
  57. Send thank you cards for every gift I receive (other than the gift of happiness, blah blah blah).
  58. Get an agent (literary or theatre)
  59. Go to a sports bar without cringing, by personal choice
  60. Ride a rollercoaster
  61. Hold a snake
  62. Spend a day wandering around a museum (not art gallery!)
Where did it come from?
Tuesday 3 April 2007
When I moved to Prague - from Wellington - I had 14 boxes of 'stuff' and one overweight suitcase (to the tune of NZ$500ish). Since then I've purchased a bed, a television, some storage boxes and a shopmakers dummy.

So explain to me, the laws of physics that resulted in it taking me 5 VW Polo loads to get all the REST of my stuff (that wasn't the bed, the chest of drawers and the television) from one house to another? I am shattered. I can't feel my shins. Have you any idea how hard it is to walk when you can't feel your shins??

Still: it's done. If, by done, we agree to mean 'all Nomes's belongings are under the new roof' and aren't going to dispute the whole 'and scattered about the lounge' ending to that sentence too much. Ah yes, that's your Nomes: testing the limits of new flatmates patience, in the first weekend!

Meanwhile, two of my old school friends are pregnant - both fit to burst in May/June/July time. Another friend has just got married, and they're already pregnant (go on, say it: SHOTGUN!) due in November. Someone else has just started a business on their own, and they're making cash hand-over-fist and another someone else has just finished their own PhD.

I mentioned 'wistfully looking at dog owners' the other day and she patted me on the arm and said, "welcome to your 30's - when you shall want to nurture and love something other than yourself". Surely that's impossible?

What i really want to know is when do I start feeding stray cats, dying my hair blue, wearing quilting, and smelling of urine? Because frankly, my DLR's, the internet profiles of people who 'send me an icebreaker' or 'IM me' or 'PM me' are enough to render even the most hardened closet-romantic into choosing life-on-the-shelf. Anything has to be better than going to coffee with people "hoo rite wo pnktuashun/splchk/cr 4 i's common ppl".

But hey! I live in Prague!

Labels:

posted by Nomes @ Tuesday, April 03, 2007  
8 Comments:
  • At 12:53 pm, April 04, 2007, Blogger mettray said…

    Hey! Glad you like the new look. It has some problems, not the least of which is that two different commenting systems are enabled. but oh well.

    could you do me a favor? pretty please?

    use your talents to write a review on plublogs.com?

    http://www.plublogs.com/topblogz/

    just be honest and yourself. which i know you will be.

    thanks!

    I will return the favor.

     
  • At 1:48 pm, April 04, 2007, Blogger mettray said…

    Fun! I'd love to design a masthead photo for you. Send me some photos or should I just grab off your flickr account?

     
  • At 4:46 pm, April 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think I *own* 14 boxes of stuff... But then I was a serial flatter, so things were pretty whittled by the time I moved in with M. Congratulations on moving in!! And you don't need your shins to crawl to the fridge for a congratulatory drink ;) "Welcome to your 30's - when you shall want to nurture and love something other than yourself"?? Take heart - I'm 37 and unable to nurture a bathroom plant that (according to its tag) "thrives on neglect"... (yep, it's dead). You're not missing out on anything being un-pregnant/single etc. You're in Prague, fiendishly close to research on an epidemic half the world is in terror of, speaking an exotic, 007esque language... I could go on, but you've heard it before :) You're great, Nomes, and things will work out the best for you. mx

     
  • At 1:46 pm, April 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmph. You try moving out of a place where you've lived, over the course of two and a half years, with approximately 17 other people (including one epiet scholar currently living in Prague who shall remain nameless, but who managed to leave a LOT of stuff behind hidden in cupboards when she left!).

    I carried and drove, loaded and unloaded, sweated and swore for 3 days, 15 hours a day, last weekend. And that was nothing compared to ana and bonnie who had been slaving for a week!

    bah

    < /rant >

     
  • At 5:03 pm, April 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi can you tell me whats the monthly salary now of an EPIET fellow in Prague is it still 200 euro as you said in your first post, or has it changed?? By the way which institute will you recommend for EPIET fellow form cohort 13?? Please reply to me at modelg@rambler.ru. thanks in advance for your reply and wishing you all the best i loved reading your blog:))

     
  • At 8:58 pm, April 07, 2007, Blogger mettray said…

    check my flickr account nomes. the draft version of your new banner is there.

     
  • At 3:27 pm, April 11, 2007, Blogger mist1 said…

    You mean to tell me that I adopted my cat because I am getting old and I am nesting?

     
  • At 3:39 pm, April 11, 2007, Blogger Nomes said…

    No. It's TOTALLY the bitchin' way in which she coordinates with your current decor. TOTALLY.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name: Nomes
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Me Me Me!
My sights
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from nomesboxall. Make your own badge here.
My opinions - before!
And WELL before!
Blogs I read
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

see web stats

© 2005 The Adventure Continues... Template by Isnaini Dot Com